Sunday, November 22, 2009

Need a little treat for someone????

With the holidays just around the corner, we all have lots of little gifts to get for friends, teachers, neighbors, etc. I am going to show you how to make a cute little gift bag that you can fill with candy, cookies, or even a little gift.




You will need the following items to make this project:
8 1/2 x 11 piece of colored cardstock (I used coredinations!)
corner rounder or decorative edge scissors
hole punch ( 1/8")
paper cutter with scoring blade OR Scor-pal
scissors, adhesive, stamps, ink, ribbon


1.

Place the cardstock lengthwise on the paper cutter/score-pal and score at 2",5", 7" and 10" (get the catchy name now?!)

2.

Rotate your cardstock 90 degrees and score it at 2" and 7"

3. At this point you might want to decorate the cardstock by stamping it with images in versamark ink, or in a complementing colored ink to the cs, or even using a stamping wheel. This is purely optional...in my sample, I did not decorate the base cardstock.

Place your cardstock horizontally so that the 2" section is at the top. Use scissors to cut off all but one 2" tall section from the top as shown. The section that is left will become the flap to close the bag.
You will also need to cut the narrow piece that is the bottom left corner...as seen in this next photo (oops--my photo is upside down...but I think you are clever enough to follow along)...I have distressed the folds so that it is easier for you to see where I scored my cardstock.



5. Make vertical cuts at the bottom to create 1 1/2" tall flaps. This will become the bottom of the bag.



6. Now is the time to use an edge punch or decorative scissors to finish the edge for the flap that you have made. I used a Martha Steward snowflake edge punch and then distressed it a bit ( I just love coredinations cardstock for this!!!)

7. You are now ready to assemble your bag! Sorry that the photo is a bit fuzzy, I could not get it clear, but it is readable! HELPFUL HINT: You should try to fold it into the bag shape before you add any adhesive. Every person's brain works differently, so play with your cardstock until you are comfortable making the bag.Once you are comfortable that you can fold it up into the bag shape correctly, then you should apply adhesive. I try to remember that the first item I make of a new project is going to be the prototype--there is a learning curve so I try to be kind to myself on the first go around!




8. Once you have assembled the bag with adhesive and are pleased with the results, place it on it's bottom and pinch the sides so that the top comes together. Here is what your bag looks like (side view)


9. You are finally ready to decorate your bag. I chose one of the changito stamps from Stampendous for this bag. I stamped it onto white cardstock, colored it in, and then mounted it onto green coredinations cardstock. As a finishing touch, I added fun flock to Santa's hat and gloves. The matted image can then be attached to the bag. You are now ready to fill the bag with a treat (or coal for someone who has been naughty), add ribbon to keep it closed ( use your hole punch to make 2 holes to thread a ribbon or yarn through), and VOILA!!!



Your finished bag will have a bow---I forgot to take a photo of mine with the ribbon attached...my bad!
Have fun with this project!

3 comments:

  1. cute stuff Roz!!! I've never thought to make my own bag.... thanks for the step-by-step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff as always Roz and that monkey is so dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Ms Roz (aka Smoochie Girl)! Your directions are perfection!

    ReplyDelete